Technical Writer Overview:
Technical Writer consults with engineering and other technical staff to prepare technical and end user documentation for software. Additionally, you’ll develop and promote the adoption of documentation templates for system, database, and program information. This role will function as a primary writer—responsible for deliverables of substantial scope and complexity.
- Prepare, review, revise, and maintain technical documents, including software and systems engineering, system operations, testing, and user documentation.
- Gather and analyze technical and product information from various sources to document new or changing product functionality.
- Write, format, edit, review, and proof procedural and technical information for technical and nontechnical users.
- Assist in planning, scheduling, and tracking documentation work to meet product release dates and client deliverables.
- Maintain a library of application documentation, cataloging it for internal and/or external use.
- Publish and maintain templates for written documentation produced by others (technical specifications, RFP responses, etc.), ensuring a consistent "look and feel."
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in a technical field such as computer science or a focus on English, writing, or communications.
- 5-7 years of experience required in an IT development environment.
- Experience in creating documentation for audiences with different levels of technical skill.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Ability to read some programming code.
- Experience in presenting technical information in a live setting, such as classroom training, presentations, or video conference.