ClassLink is seeking a Director of Software Engineering to help build a foundation for operational excellence within ClassLink’s Engineering department. In this role, you’ll lead the creation of processes, best practices, and organizational frameworks that scale with our growing Engineering organization. This is a managerial role and will have direct reports.
As Director of Software Engineering, you’ll partner with the CTO and the development leadership team to establish and lead operating processes, use your analytical mindset, exceptional project management skills, and ability to work seamlessly with employees at all levels to create organization and clarity for our Engineering team
- Optimize software engineering processes to ensure engineering best practices and business processes are consistent, well-aligned across the organization, and result in desired outcomes to support goals
- Lead, grow, and mentor a growing and diverse team of software engineers, devops and architecture departments.
- Work closely with the Product team to establish a consistent Agile methodology that supports innovation and quality.
- Ensure expectations are managed effectively in the pursuit of on-time delivery of quality products in a CI/CD environment with a focus on meeting committed timelines. These products are both on-premise and cloud-based.
- Develop streamlined processes and mechanisms to improve operational efficiency and communication
- Develop business cases to support new and improved processes for Engineering, creating actionable insights and tasks
- Lead and complete existing and new concurrent projects, guiding other members of the org on their projects
- Communicate and collaborate with cross-functional partners such as Learning Design and Product, HR, and Marketing to align on priorities
- Identify areas of work where we can pause, remove roadblocks, or re-prioritize resources
- Develop, review, maintain and optimize existing processes
- Build scalable reporting and analytics solutions
- Execute, measure progress, and share results of the critical work done within engineering
- Prior experience running an Engineering operations organization at scale
- Deep understanding of engineering processes and best practices
- Strong relationship skills with the ability to foster a sense of community with cross-functional stakeholders
- Prior experience in an Engineering role is preferred
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills and an ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to move seamlessly between conversing with engineers, operations teams, and Senior Executives
- Problem solver and strategic thinker who is comfortable using frameworks and data to help structure the team's thinking and solve multi-faceted problems
- 5+ years of previous experience in people management is preferred
- Experience in managing resourcing/staffing, and having worked directly with VP & C-Suite level on a regular basis